Friday 18 October 2013

Girl with a basket of fruits.

Artist: Titian
Style: Renaissance
Year: 1558
Museum: Staatliche Museen, Berlin, Germany
This is an oil painting  by Italian artist Titan. the painting started in 1555 and was completed in 1558(start of Elizabeth's reign). The sitter in the painting is called Lavinia. It is believed that the female in the picture is Titans daughter. italy was said to be very ahead of fashion and styles in the Renassancie."works of these painters are the source for most of our information about styles;members of the families frequently sat fr their portraits"(Fashions in hair Richard Corson pg 135)."These paintings are most likely to be proved the best source of current fashions"(Fashions in hair Richard Corson) Therefore this image to me is giving me a what would of been a modern image in terms of style. The fruit is meant to be an emblem of `freshness` purity, begin ripe, and sweet.

I have decided to analyse the image starting from the background of the painting. I can see what looks like some sort of landscape. It looks to me as if there are mountains behind the woman. Suggesting to me that she is high up; as her upper body seems to be sky line level. This could be the actual setting or could be symbolizing possibly she is `God like` to me. Or powerful The sky looks pink which can mean that the next day is going to be sunny. Could be implying  to some she lights up the sky? In the left corner of the painting there appears to be a curtain that has been positioned to the side. this could possibly symbolize to me something is about to begin! Like when you go and see a theater show the curtains symbolize a start to something.

The prop she is holding is a what looks like a silver tray. Could this be suggesting she is a maid serving the wealthy and powerful? Or it could be purely for prop use. Fruit to me symbolizes purity, ripeness, sweetness, and pleasure referencing back to the bible of Adam and Eve (Genesis 3:6). The fruit could even be symbolizing class as fruit was seen as a luxury food. She is holding it up to the sky this to me is a powerful position which implies power. Or could even be symbolizing how she is the fruit of his  wives loom. Researching about Titans life I discovered that his wife ceased. Possibly holding the fruit up to the heavens?

The costume suggests some wealth but not major wealth as the gown is green which was a colour the upper class would wear. The dress appears to have a pattern embroidered on it, upper classes peoples dresses oozed with detail. I love the back of the dress the way it scoops down showing off the top if the back looks simple and elegant. The material draped round the back adds contrast to the green dress. I think that the pearls look grand and could even be her mothers. They look so simple and classy. I like the jewel band in the hair and the what looks to me like matching earrings. It is not too much and is a great balance with the fruit.

I like the makeup it is simple and pure. The girl appears to have very beautiful soft skin. which is something I think I would like to portray in my character is  beautiful pale skin. I like the way you can only see the start and middle of the brow making it look as if the girl only has half a brow, this could potentially help me create an interesting look. I like the contours in the nose and around the eyes. The hair is in an updo which makes me question whether she is married or not as it was said "Normally women covered their hair after marriage and wore it long and flowing before"(Fashions in hair Richard Corson pg 139) Which makes me question if she is not married is she virginal?

What really captured my attention to this image was the pose! I love it I think it could potentially work really well in a shoot holding a prop. the pose to me looks powerful, yet soft in the face, creating a great visual balance. Making the photo not look majorly theatrical. The expression on her face is almost sensual in the eyes. The skin showing on the back and the curve of the spine could suggest to me sensuality. Which makes me want to create a character that can produce signals of sensuality, and makes me think of using props such as an apple to represent the forbidden fruit.

This image can also seem quite worrying to me as it looks sort of incest. The way her dress is drooped low which may have been seen as slightly obscene in that era and the way she is looking at her farther. This has made me curious

No comments:

Post a Comment