Tuesday 8 October 2013

Makeup studio.

Lesson one.

In my first lesson I learnt how to set up my working area and how to remove someones makeup and clean the skin correctly. All of which I have explained below. I just wanted to sort of summarize the lesson.

We had to remove the makeup standing behind our partner. Removing the makeup in the mirror. I have never removed makeup like this before. It was a strange experience for me I am so used to looking at the canvas.We had to remove it synchronizing both hands (not having the best co-ordination) I found this not hard but it just felt different. I oddly enough found it therapeutic removing makeup, especially the eyebrows with the cotton bud I just liked making peoples eyebrows dissapear. They frame the face and make a huge difference!


 Routine.



Set up.

The layout of your work station is important. As your work space will reflect you, it should be clean, organised, and as tidy as possible.

  • Place a piece of couch roll and lay it out neatly on your space. 
  • You should always go to the sink first of all and thoroughly wash your hands. If there is not a sink use anti bacterial hand gel.
  • Set your makeup out orderly.
  • Introduce yourself tot he model, ask them if they are allergic to any products you will need to apply, and if they wear contact lenses.
  • Put a wrap around them.
  • Clip excess bits of hair away from the face.


Cleaning the face.

It is important to always have a skin routine prepared for your model. This is to ensure that the makeup looks as fresh as possible. We also need to have a routine as it is hygienic, and is the substructure of your look.

 It is important to talk your model through the process of all applications whether it be makeup or moisturizing this is to ensure that they are comfortable with everything you are doing, and to make sure they are not allergic to any products.

  1. Cleansing: You should always begin with cleansing the face to do this you will need clean cotton pads and cotton buds. You should cleanse the face in an upward motion ensuring to clean off any makeup or dirt, you must do this thoroughly.
  2. Toning: You must use toner secondary to cleansing as toner ensures there is no more makeup and removes the cleanser. To tone the skin again use a cotton pad and wipe the face in an upward motion.
  3. Moisturizer: Moisturizer is vital as it hydrates and softens the skin making makeup application smoother.To apply moisturizer you only need a pea sized amount to begin with and if you feel as though the model may need a little more in areas then you can add to the already applied amount. You should apply this in a circular motion not forgetting the hair line and neckline.

Exfoliating the skin.

You do not always need to exfoliate the skin only if the skin is dry and spotty. As exfoliating removes dead skin cells and dirt that is deep in the pores. It is best to get your model to exfoliate (if they need to) the night before the shoot, as the skin may look and feel a little rough or sore on the day.

Eyes.

Models can clean their own eyes if there is an extreme amount of makeup on them, or if they tend to get sensitive eyes due to the  rubbing motion . You can check if it is all off with a pad or a cotton bud after.

Products.

 Products come in many forms such as:
  • Liquid.
  • Gel.
  • Lotion.
  • Cream.
  • Masks
  • Makeup wipes.
It is important to have a range of products for sensitive skins.As you do not want to harm the models skin in anyway!

Products I like using.

I personally I am an Old fashioned type of girl. I like using a cotton pad and formulas not wipes I just find they dry out my skin and leave it feeling sore, and they do not take off my makeup completely. I tend to find a product I like and stick to it but I will buy other brands to add to the collection. These are products for me I think I will forever use.

Cleansers.

I have two favorite cleansers that I love using on my skin (combination) and some of my previous clients.


My first favorite cleanser is by `Nivea`it is part of their `Daily Essentials` range. This is actually a 2 in 1 (cleanser and toner) which is extremely handy as it is not time consuming. It is for Normal&combination skin types. It is a lotion formula which I like as it is hydrating to my skin. It has a mellow smell to it which is not chemically or overpowering which I like, it always leaves no trace of makeup. However this product can sting if it gets near the eyes so I would not recommend it to anyone with extra sensitive eyes. The bottle is sturdy and squeezable which is good as you can control how much product you need to use (sometimes). Its 200ml which is a lot of product. The best part is its only £2.99 considering I have to budget now I can kiss goodbye to my high end products (special occasions only). Overall I find this product kind to my skin and it does the job.
Link:Butterboom.com
Viewed:09.10.13
My other most adored cleanser is by Lancome (Bi Facil) . This was an odd experience for me when I first tried it as it feels greasy on the skin ,although the bottle description states its non oily (liars). It it so gentle on the skin and has the faintest scent of Roses. It claims on the bottle that it is a facial product as well which I  can really feel. Your face feels  well and truly refreshed.It is sensitive to the eyes so its an all rounder! It deeply cleanses it really is a luxury product. Its a liquid formula so very light on the skin. However  for a 125ml it is £21.99 which is 100% worth it. 

Toner.


Link:Lancome.co.uk
Viewed:09.10.13
I only ever use one toner that is not a combined product .I have used it for years religiously. Thanks to easy access to my mothers dressing table.It is again by Lancome I believe it is called `Tonique Douceur`. It is magical it feels like your skin has come to life your pores are saying"i can breathe" you instantly feel refreshed and pure! This product is good for all skin types, and is alcohol free.It makes your skin feel soft, revitalized and moisturized. It makes your skin have a glow too which is a treat for me considering I have the mattest skin in the world! It is a liquid formula. It is £22 for 125ml. I would sacrifice a night out for a bottle of this 

Moisturizers.

I have so many moisturizers that I jump to due to my skins chameleon condition. I will write about my top 3!
Link:britstore.co.uk
viewed:09.1013
On word Astral £2 for a huge tub which will last you about 8 months if you used it everyday. Its quite a heavy moisturizer so i would only recommend wearing it if you have a few dry patches of skin. It has a bar soapy scent which is bearable. But really moisturizes the skin thoroughly. I like it because of the price and it hydrates my dry skin instantly I can only use this continuously for about 2 weeks before it takes its toll on my sebaceous glands. Would recommend this product for the dryer skins out there.
Link:Payatdoor.com
Viewed:09.10.13
Nivea is great for combination skin and dry skin. I find the thick cream formula a little hard to blend and times, and you must wait at least 3 minutes before applying a base on top of it , as it takes a while for the skin to adsorb. Or maybe that's just me! I can use this twice a day and I never get spots or blackheads that I can see from it. It doesn't really have a scent and is about£2.50 for a pot which again is in my new budget.
Link:Makeupandbeauty.ie
Viewed:09.1013
My final moisturizer is once again Lancome `Hydra Zen Nuit`its a soothing recharging night cream which smells divine. Its a light cream which just glides on your skin and makes it feel instantly soft. I tend to use this if I have had a rough few nights and my skin begins to look tired and just `Blugh`so to give it that fresh look I turn to this. This is about £41 for 50ml It  feels like daylight robbery when purchasing it but you do feel a million dollars with it on



Contra-indications.

What is a contra-indication?
A contra-indication is something that restricts or prevents the way in which a treatment is performed. It is important to recognise a contra-indication to prevent any harm to a model/client or even yourself, and to prevent cross-infection and secondary infections.

Contra-indications that ought to have medical referral are as follows:
  • Bacterial infection.
  • Viral infection.
  • Fungal.
  • Systemic medical conditions.
  • Serve skin conditions and eye infections.
  • Parasitic infestation.
It is extremely important to not just refuse to apply makeup on the model but to refer them to see a Doctor to prevent the issue from worsening. It is also important to not diagnose the person with any of the conditions as this is purely unprofessional and not your profession to say so. You should inform the model that there's a possibility that they could have a contra-indication and that you cannot continue with the procedure as you may harm the model. 

Contra-indictions that  restrict makeup:
  • Recent scar tissue.
  • Eczema of a mild form.
  • Hyperkeratosis.
  • Skin allergies.
  • Cuts and abrasions.
  • Bruising.
  • Styes.
  • Watery eyes.
These may restrict the makeup process within reason.

How to recognise Contra-Indications requiring medical referral.

Bacterial infection.

A common bacterial infection is impetigo. If an infection has pus it means that bacteria is there.

Impetigo.
A highly infectious infection.
Link:dshs.state.tx.us
Viewed 08.10.13
Created:18.01.13
  • Usually red,appears patchy,spotty.
  • The skin breaks and blisters will appear.
  • Honey colored crusts develop which leaks serum, making the infection spread daily.


Viral infection.

Herpes simplex (cold sore).
Link:Doctorfox.co.uk
Viewed: 08.10.13
Created:2013
A contagious infection that appears as a red itchy patch followed by swelling and formation of blisters around the mouth and nose area. If you scratch it, the serum will release which forms a crust.

Herpes Zoster (shingles).

This same virus can cause chicken pox in children. It begins with itching erythema and inflammation followed by blisters.

Verruca Vulgaris (warts).

                                                         A round lump with a rough surface that can vary in size. They can develop on their own and in clusters and can spread to other areas. The will often be a grayish, yellowy colour.

Fungal Infection.

Link:Bupa.co.uk
Veiwed:08.10.13
Created:05.11
A fungal infection found on the body is called tinea corporis,(ringworm). It is highly infectious.
  • Small red pimples appear.
  • A flat scaly ring-like lesion forms.
  • It heals from the center outwards.

Conjunctivitis.

Link:NHS.uk
Viewed:08.10.13
Created:09.12
It is caused by inflammation of the mucus membrane that covers they eye and lid. It is contagious and is often due to a bacterial infection occurring.
  • The eye becomes red, sore and bloodshot.
  • A pussy discharge is often produced which causes the eye lids to stick.

Parasitic infestation.

Scabies.

Link:Webmd.boots.com
Viewed:08.10.13
Created:21.0512
Tiny itch mites that burrow under the skin to lay their eggs.
  • Redness,itching and swelling.
  • Greylish lines on the skin.





Serve skin conditions and eye infections.

Acne Vulgaris.

Link:Acnenomorereviewer..org
Viewed:08.10.13
Created:09.03.11
This is linked to the hormones of the body and is common in teenage years.
  • Inflamed skin
  • Papulses and pastules.
  • Comedones.
  • Open pores.
  • Greasy shine.


Acne rosacea.

This is most common in later life.
  • Inflamed skin that can appear as a butterfly shaped panel over the forehead, nose and cheeks.
  • Red flush to the skin.
  • Sebaceous glands are over stimulated resulting in open pores and greasy looking skin.

Boil.

Link:NHS.co.uk
Viewed:08.10.13
Created:13.02.13
This is a red,raised, painful lump often will appear around a hair follicle and pus will develop. It will extend deeply into the skin and can cause scarring once the boil is healed.

Blepharitis.

Link:medicinenet.com
Veiwed:08.10.13
Created:13
A infection of the eyelid.

  • Inflamed lid.
  • Red and sore eye.

How to recognise Contra-indications that restrict makeup.

Recent scar tissue.

Link:getholistichelp.com
Viewed:08.10.13
Created:27.10.12 
Scar tissue that is classed as recent is if it is less then 6 months old. Y ou should not touch this scar as it could reopen. The scar will appear:
  • Shiny red skin.
  • Raised or indented.

Eczema of a mild form.

Link.diseasepictures.com
Viewed:08.10.13
Created:25.10.12
Your model may suffer from a mild form of eczema. This will look like:
  • Small red patch of itchy skin.




Hyperkeratosis.

This commonly results from chronic scratching or rubbing.

Skin allergies.

The symptoms of this would be:
  • Redness and swelling of the skin.
  • Itching and blisters.

Cuts or abrasions.

If your model suffers from abrasions the skin will be:
  • Damaged and dry.
  • Blood would be present.
If the the area is unavoidable it should be covered with a sterile dressing. As cross infection could occur.

Bruising.

The skin would appear a shade of purple to yellow.

Styes.

Styes are caused by a bacterial infection of the sebaceous gland or eyelash hair follicle.
Styes appear:
  • Red inflamed lump on the eyelid.

Watery eyes.

Your model may get watery eyes during a shoot etc. This is due to a blockage of the tear duct which causes the eye to water. This can be uncomfortable for the model and can aggravate the condition.

No comments:

Post a Comment