Saturday 19 October 2013

Contemporary Elizabethan images.

Contemporary Elizabethan images.

Link:Dailymail.co.uk/Thome-Brownes-New-York-Fashion-week
Viewed:14.10.13
To me this is a contemporary version of Elizabethan makeup in a high fashion perspective. To me it has kept some of the original `ideal` Elizabethan beauty traits. Such as the alabaster complexion of the skin, the skin here looks very pure and soft- could it be conveying a message of virginal innocence? The brows are drastically light. A majority of the women had bleached out brows.The brows help dramatize the heavy eyes and lips.There is no rosy glow to the cheeks, which is sometimes how women wore their makeup. What is modern to me about this image is the heavy,messy eyes with what looks like there is no mascara on they eyes. The red,smudged lip making the makeup seem artistic to me as it give it that edge. It also reminds me of a clown. It also compliments the clothing as from what I can see it looks rather plain. However the shoulders appear to be puffed making me think that taking into consideration the overall look this look could have very well  been inspired by the Elizabethan era!



Link:magazin.net.hr
Viewed:14.10.13
I find this image to be a modernized version of Elizabethan beauty. As they have kept some traits such as the fair skin, and light brows. However this image is contemporary to me as it looks to me as though this image is a hybrid of another sub culture or era. It looks sort of Gothic to me with the dark eyes and lips. Also the facial expression has a strong attitude look about it, the eyes look moody to me. It also reminds me of the 20s era with the dark eyes and lips. Possibly mixed time eras!



Link:eyeshadowlipstick.com
Viewed:14.10.13
 Again to me I find this to be a modern take on the 1500's era as at the beginning of Elizabeth's reign the skin makeup seemed  more natural and perhaps virginal. The cheeks have a flush of pink, as do the lips. The brows are very light too. The lips seem to have a what looks to me like a dry texture to them. I love the way the pink brightens the face making it look more feminine. I love the dewy fresh faced look on the skin it is beautiful and really to me suggests innocence and virtue.

Book:Makeup is art. Author:The Academy of freelance makeup
Pg:169
This to me is contemporary. The image looks to me as if it has been influenced by different cultures due to the what looks like henna tattoo but could have been painted on. The lips loo theatrical to me, as you often see theatrical characters with just the cross bow of their lip and the opposing part of the lip colored in to make the lips appear smaller and shaped like a heart almost. The brows remind me of perhaps the 20's era as thin eyebrows on women was seen as the `ideal beauty`. I love that they have kept the classic pale skin and red frizzy plaited hair. This image almost looks tribal. This looks really inspired me to incorporate other cultures to make my look,look contemporary.
Book:Makeup is art. Author Academy of freelance makeup.
Pg 152.

I think this image is so beautiful. Its just simple and very pure looking. I like how the skin is just what looks like has just been left pale. The look on the models face looks as if she is deep in thought and almost ghostly!  I adore the contrast of the copper red hair against the alabaster skin. The expression on the face and big hair tells a story. Making me question why is she is posed and expressing herself the way she is? I believe this shot is an intentional pure beauty shot the drama is all n the skin. Possibly suggesting to me that its a blank canvas you can read this image how you please? Make your own story out of it?  It looks to me as if she is almost looking like a stone statue sitting there so still. Possibly communicating that this ideal beauty is long gone in our society. As I feel that  we are very pressured in western culture to have glowing tanned skin long hair, be extremely thin, yet have some shape to our bodies.

 I also think the image reminds me of an artist called Caravaggio who used to have mainly boys pose for him in action shots sometimes for hours whilst he painted them. They also look deep in thought. The woman in the contemporary image also looks a bit like a male due to the way her hair and makeup had possibly been overdone to some to look this way. Whilst briefly looking into some of the portraits I realised that almost all of them were of young boys half or if not fully naked. This made me question his sexuality. I thought it was seen as a sin in that era to be a homosexual. I was intrigued by this. I decided to watch the film (Caravaggio directed by Derek Jarman,1986) the film was retelling the painters life was some added dramas. I found this film intriguing it showed him being a homosexual so my judgment on his pictures may of been right.

No comments:

Post a Comment