Monday 11 November 2013

Lip Trip.

When designing makeup for lips or eyes there are three general rules that you should follow known as the three c's.

  • Curve- The curve of the lips or eyes (the shape). 
  • Colour-Whether your model has a warm or cool skin tone.This can hep you decide what colours will compliment your model best.
  • Control-using certain lip liners and brushes will help you gain more control over the look.
To ensure you get the best outcome you must always prep the lips first using exfoliator. To exfoliate the lips you can use a muslin cloth, or if they are extremely dry use a exfoliator pad. To use the muslin cloth you must wet the cloth and massage into the lips with the exfoliator in a circular motion. The dab with a tissue dry and apply balm to help the lips hydrate.

The fuller lip.

To create a fuller lip that looks natural you must choose a lip liner 1 or 2 shades darker than the person's lip colour.


  • Tilt the models head at an angle this make sit easier for you to achieve a precise application.
  • Start at the outer corner of the mouth, using back and forward motion.
  • Take the pencil slightly above the lip line. Make sure you hold the pencil slanted using short,sharp strokes.
  • To do the bottom lip follow the natural line at first. Working for the inside of the lip to the outside.
  • Using a flat brush will make the lipstick application easier and more precise.
If you want to make the lips look even more dimensional then you can add a gloss on the cupid's bow and at the center of the bottom lip.
Link:www.fashiobelief.com
Viewed:11/11/13

Making lipsticks matte.

You can make any lipsticks matte by using a specific technique both using tissue.
  • Using a fine tissue to ensure the product goes through.
  • Hold the tissue up to the lips.
  • Dust the translucent powder through using a brush.
  • You can also use a brush to dab on powder.

Lip pinch.

This is an interesting look that creates a eye catching look without it looking too dramatic.
  • You will need a blank canvas to make the look stand out, apply white foundation tot he lips.
  • Using an eyeshadow cream or lipstick dab the product onto the cupids bow and center of the lips using a fluffy brush to blend.
  • To create an ombre effect use an opposing, monochromatic, or complementary colour and massage this colour into the lips using a fluffy brush.

Here is an image that Lara created today it is the lip pinch effect. I really like this look as its not too dramatic but is an interesting look.










Here is a page out of Kevyn Aucions `Making Faces` book. I thought I would include this page as it shows you and briefly explains alot of modern and period lip shapes you can create. The lip I think I would like on my final design is a Bee-stung lip. Although this is classed as being really 20's It reminds me of a heart more than anything and I could reference it to the Queen being the heart of England. I am not sure what colour I would like to apply it in or consistency I will experiment and blog!


 Today we got paired with our partners for our assessment. Which meant that we were able to share some draft ideas on the lips. As we are doing each others designs I decided to have a go at one of my partners potential ideas. The ombre lip using reds as the Elizabethans did.

Ombre lips.

I created the lips by lining the lips and filling in the corners to add more depth to where the darker colour would be applied. I then used Macs lip mix in red and white to create a light red which turned into a rose pink; I applied this to the center of the lips and t the inside of the lips. I then blended it out slightly with my fluffy blending brush. I then used Macs lip mix in black and red and applied this to the outer corners of the lips blending inwards. My partner decided that she wanted the center of the ombre ot be more rd than pink so I applied just red lip mix on top and blended. I then cleaned up the lips by using a light concealer.
For a first attempt at ombre lips on someone else I thought it looked quite good! However I think the colours could be richer however I am happy with how I lined the lips as I felt I had a little control over the shape and fullness. I felt the lips suited my partner and really complimented her cool skin tone.

No comments:

Post a Comment